Understand how to help your clients get website privacy policies and cookie consent forms on their websites. Kori Ashton interviewed Hans Skillrud the VP of Termageddon to learn about Privacy Policies, Terms of Service, Cookie notifications, and more. NOTE: This is not considered legal advice. Please connect with a lawyer for legal help. This video is for the purpose of helping you understand Termageddon’s policy generator plugin and some basic terminology.
Agency Owners can get two free Termageddon licenses when you sign up https://termageddon.com/i/kori/
Termageddon offers Website Policies that Automatically Update as the Laws Change. Install in your WordPress website today.
Free Resources – https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bGfO-tJgCqEwJEtv4IJLa0aLP75U8-KCCB8UBP_i63k/edit
Free waiver https://termageddon.com/selling/sales-tools/#waiver
SUBSCRIBE TO FOLLOW KORI – https://www.youtube.com/c/koriashton?sub_confirmation=1
This video contains paid promotion.
– Whether you like it or not, privacy laws are coming.
– What I want agencies to do more than anything is not copy legal documents for their clients from my competitor sites or non-compliant templates.
– So help me with some language that I can feel empowered to educate my clients with when I’m talking about cookies.
– You provide several tools for us as freelancers and agency owners. You even provide this PDF file that is a sales pitch on how to educate our clients and approach them from an education perspective versus a sales pitch. But you equip us with some really cool language and I wanna highlight that here. I’m gonna put the link in the description box below so that other freelancers and agency owners can pick this up and start to utilize this in their sales team or in their own conversations with their clients. Thank you for that awesome resource.
– Absolutely, yeah, please enjoy it. And that’s why we provide assets like our website policies waiver. It’s free. You don’t even have to recommend Termageddon. I’m a big advocate for just getting that documentation in place that tells your clients, “Hey, I just built a website for you that potentially could collect regulated data like names and emails. That does not mean I’m responsible for your website policies. It is your responsibility to comply with laws” and our waiver gives your clients a choice. You know, you can send me the policies that your attorney creates, you can use a generator like Termageddon or you can choose to do nothing. But the reason why I love that educational material is because it puts the responsibility into the right hands. It is not the agency’s responsibility for the client to comply with laws. And a document like that just helps ensure that everyone understands the relationship and you know, again, you don’t even have to recommend Termageddon. Like take it, use it, like, enjoy it. I hope it protects you at the very least. And hopefully clients take a turn and also make some decisions on whether they wanna comply with laws or not.
– Okay, Hans. So how can Termageddon actually help protect me as a freelancer or an agency owner from a potential lawsuit?
– Well, I think it’s important to understand that Termageddon is a technology. So we’re not a legal service provider. And that’s why more than anything we always tell agencies to recommend to clients. You know, nothing beats hiring an attorney but if you don’t have the funds or you’re not ready to invest that type of money, Termageddon can be a great alternative but it’s not a legal service provider. But with that being said, obviously you know, our goal is to create the most comprehensive policies in the world. Our business hinges on that plan. And so I would say the very first step a website agency can do is set up policies for their own website, that will explain to your prospects your privacy practices and help limit your liability as a website owner. It also, in my opinion, demonstrates professionalism to prospects considering wanting to work with you. In addition to that, we do provide that waiver we were talking about earlier where you can educate your clients on these potential requirements. And the call to action that your clients have to sign is their acknowledgement that no matter what they choose to do, whether it’s to use Termageddon or use an attorney or choose to do nothing, they sign off acknowledging that it is not your responsibility for them to comply with privacy laws. And in my opinion, that’s a wonderful way to protect an agency because well, clients may downplay it like, “oh, I don’t really need it.” So they sign off saying they don’t want it, that’s great, that is their decision. But if they end up getting fined or sued in the future because of new privacy law changes or just something they were not doing correctly with their website, they can’t come back to you and be like, “Hey, you never told me about this.” ‘Cause you can actually literally hold up. “You remember when you signed this document?” So that’s why I like that asset so much. And again, you don’t need to recommend Termageddon to utilize it, it’s just putting education and documentation in place because we are in a regulated industry and I feel like I have to scream that from the mountaintop. Like we have to accept it, everyone, we’re in a industry that is getting regulated and there will be agencies that embrace it and there’s gonna be agencies that keep pretending it doesn’t exist and like, “oh, my clients don’t need it.” Like, well you’re kind of making legal decisions for your client at that point. I would recommend embracing it and just ensuring your client understands you’re not their legal representative and that’s whether or not you recommend Termageddon. That’s a general statement for this industry.
– So if I have two clients, 10 clients, 200 clients, is Termageddon scalable and how would I get started with you guys?
– Yeah, so as an agency owner, I knew that investing my own time and resources into like learning about policies would be enough of a struggle. So that’s why we give agencies a free license forever, no questions asked, it’s free for you. I think we’ll also be talking about a promotion where we’re gonna actually give agencies two free licenses at Termageddon. Usually we give agencies one free license to try us out. But since Kori and I have known each other for quite a while now, we decided we’ll throw in an extra one for anyone who decides to apply today. And what happens then is that we actually review these applications. We’ll send you a personalized welcome email if we approve you or we’ll ask you for additional information if we can’t verify your agency status just yet. So once you receive that email, you’ll be set up, you’ll have agency access. And because we manually approved you we are able to not only set you up with like a promo code and affiliate link if you wanna have clients pay us directly and you receive recurring commissions. But also if you’re wanting to resell Termageddon, you have the ability to buy licenses, one at a time at wholesale rates. And you know, if you have like a ton of clients that you’re already servicing and you’re wanting to educate them about the growing importance of privacy, we even have bulk plans that you can buy that save you even additional money.
– That’s incredible. So they can visit termageddon.com/kori, I’ll again, put that link in the description box below so you can go get in on that deal where you’re gonna get two licenses. So that’s two different websites that can be running the Termageddon WordPress plugin. And that plugin does what specifically for us?
– Yeah, so Termageddon actually you generate embed codes and you copy and paste those embed codes into your policy pages. Now when you go through our questionnaire, the very first step we walk you through is to figure out what privacy laws you need to make disclosures for. Based on that, we’ll let you know if you do need a cookie consent solution or not. And if you do, we offer a plug-in that not only ensures the cookie consent gets pasted as high up in your header as possible which is necessary for proper consent solutions to manage scripts that are non-essential to get consent first. It helps ensure it goes to the very tippy top of it but you can also utilize the plugin for like geolocation features like where to display the consent tool to or who not to show it to, for example.
– So let’s visit termageddon.com/kori and go get two free licenses as an agency owner. Thank you so much, Hans.
– Bye, Kori.